Tuesday, October 27, 2015

Topic Tuesday: Zombies

Episode 5: Zombies !

Glad I picked this one out of the jar this week! It's literally perfect xD

By jar I mean that I have a jar that is covered in gold glitter on the inside (with modpodge so it doesn''t go all over) with about 100 topics in it and the way I pick my topics is I put my hand in the jar and randomly take out a piece of paper with the topic and write about that :D So yay for zombies around halloween.

For this week I will probably only/mostly be analyzing 2 of my favorite zombie books

I will probably talk about them so much that it will be somewhat of a review/analysis of it

WORLD WAR Z !

So I got World War Z (british cover) a couple of months ago for a class, we were only supposed to download a couple of chapters but since I liked the movie, and felt like reading zombies, I went ahead and order this book online, I got the british cover cuz I thought it was so beautiful. Anyways, I started reading it and about 7 pages in, I knew the book was going to be SSSSSOOOOOOOOOO freaking different than the movie, like big time xD But it was still good. 

I WILL BE QUOTING SOME PARTS OF THE BOOK! BEWARE!

 The following excerpt I copied directly from the book, ish, I used ..... to separate large sections and only used the part I wanted to talk about.

  • I found “Patient Zero” behind the locked door of an abandoned house across town. He was twelve years old. His wrists and feet were bound with plastic packing twine. Although he’d rubbed off the skin around his bonds, there was no blood. There was also no blood on his other wounds, not on the gouges on his legs or arms, or from the large dry gap where his right big toe had been. He was writhing like an animal; a gag muffled his growls.....One of my “orderlies,” the one responsible for his arms, gave up trying to hold them and thought it might safer if he just braced them against the floor with his knees. But the boy jerked again and I heard his left arm snap. Jagged ends of both radius and ulna bones stabbed through his gray flesh. Although the boy didn’t cry out, didn’t even seem to notice, it was enough for both assistants to leap back and run from the room.......The boy began to twist in my direction, his arm ripped completely free. Flesh and muscle tore from one another until there was nothing except the stump. His now free right arm, still tied to the severed left hand, dragged his body across the floor.

That part of the book can be found in the first chapter and it is literally the scariest thing I had ever read, the way the author described it just implanted it into my brain and I could see it and it was freaking awful. It was what a zombie was supposed to be ! I imaged what it would be like to know that this thing trully existed and it terrified me, however, it leads me to the next topic.


  • Most people don't believe something can happen until it already has. That's no stupidity or weakness, that's just human nature. I don't blame anyone for not believing.
 It's so true, it is honestly one of my favorite zombie books, it speaks volumes about the dead and the living, people ARE in denial about things that currently go on in society, or simply turn a blind eye to it, if its not going on in their area, they ignore it. Its that simple.

However, in the book, even when it WAS in their area they ignored it! IT WAS HORRIFYING !

Next zombies I shall talk about:

WARM BODIES!

I have the American cover of this book but damn is the British cover beautiful.  


Honestly, the UK has such beautiful cover ! The Hunger Games is also beautiful as...

Anyways!


 Zombies by Isaac Marion, these aren't scary in the typical way that a zombie would be scary. It's more rationally scary. In The New Hunger the way the zombie is trying to understand what happened to him and trying to calm his hunger and is trying to eat what his brain remembers as food. Or the memories of the Julie and Nora as they try to be safe from the world around them, but they are still kids, forced to grow up.
  • Suddenly exhausted, she closes her eyes and slips into nightmares again. Graveyards rising out of the ocean. Her friends’ corpses in the light of their burning school. Skeletons ripping open men's chests and crawling inside. She endures it patiently, waiting for the horror film to end and the theater to go dark, those precious few hours of blackout that are her only respite.
That's all just very creepy and sad. 
On to Warm Bodies again, R is, of course, one of my favorite zombies. At first I was annoyed with it, like all of these things, he remembers from his previous life, the knowledge. But then I realized, hey, amnesia works like that, you remember what a cake is when you see it, you remember what a car looks like but you can forget everything about your past life before the moment in which you "wake up again" Its a real thing. So I was like okay, that's super scary. Having to try and deal with this every day and trying but failing to even remember your own name or what you did or why you mattered or didn't.

Warm Bodies is beautiful, it makes you think of the world, it really does.

  • There is no ideal world for you to wait around for. The world is always just what it is now, and it's up to you how you respond to it.


That's wall worthy right there.

By that I mean that I have a section in my room that has a whole bunch of book quotes on it xD

Movie Adaptations:

So I want to say this.
The book to movie for World War Z is super freaking different... BIG TIME!!!
Warm Bodies is also somewhat different, by SOMEWHAT, I mean that there are details here and there that were changed, like what R wears, but many things, even some dialogue, is exactly like the movie, so .. YAY for that.

Plus, extra yay for Brad Pitt 


and Nicholas Hoult (who has been my wallpaper for a couple weeks)


Everyone has their own ideas of zombies, book wise, I love 2. Brooks' zombies, these completely animalistic and savage zombies, and Marions' Zombies that are struggling with themselves but slowly loosing their humanity unless something changes. Like.. it's very deep xD