Thursday, August 3, 2017

Review: The Secret History of Wonder Woman by Jill Lepore


Rate:
5/5

Goodreads Description:

A cultural history of Wonder Woman traces the character's creation and enduring popularity, drawing on interviews and archival research to reveal the pivotal role of feminism in shaping her seven-decade story.
Examines the life of Wonder Woman creator William Moulton Marston and his polyamorous relationship with wife Elizabeth Holloway and mistress Olive Byrne, both of whom inspired and influenced the comic book character's creation and development.


Review:
I cannot begin to tell you how much I loved this book!
It was so much fun and so incredibly fascinating just how Wonder Woman began, what inspired it, her ups and downs, and how she changed to fit society.
The book went by so fast for me, maybe cuz I kept picturing Gal after every Wonder Woman mention... which is the whole book.
The world is just a better place if you picture Gal.
I also loved to hear all the different things Diana has gone through throughout history and the personal life of William, Elizabeth and Olive, it was unheard of at the time, and not so known today even. 

Hearing all the struggles of the creator of Wonder Woman and pretty much everything surrounding it makes me respect the whole comic book world so much more. I honestly had such an urge to go out and buy a pack of comic books but they aren't cheap and im not rich xD But I do look forward to actually start collecting some comic though, they are art in the pages and outside of the pages.

Recommend it
If you like Wonder Woman, I really do recommend you check out her background.