Monday, October 17, 2016

Game of Pages: Harry Potter and the Sorcerers Stone

Harry Potter and the Sorcerers Stone By J.K. Rowling

Review by Angela
Discussion by Angela and Vale

Image result for harry potter coverImage result for harry potter sorcerer's stone movie cover

Review:
Harry Potter and the Sorcerers Stone (Philosophers Stone) by JK Rowling is about a young boy named Harry Potter, raised by his Aunt and Uncle after his parents deaths and who was said to live a perfectly normal life, thank you very much. Shortly before his 11th birthday things start to change for Harry and he finds out he is actually a wizard.
Image result for you're a wizard harry gif
Harry then attends Hogwarts, school of witch craft and wizard, but that doesnt mean things are all bright and happy for Harry, for he now finds himself having to once again face the evil that once defeated his parents, but considers himself lucky as he now has 2 great friends, named Ron and Hermione, at his side, and along as he has them and the whole wizarding world exists, he is willing to fight for it all.

This book is a very easy read, as it is a middle grade book. Yet it still has very complicated scenes, as the we are submerged into a whole magical world of fiction. You get to meet some fantastic characters and other characters you cant help but hate, you see characters dealing with girl drama and other things that would be normal for any young child. You can forget everything around and it is hard to stop reading. I believe I read it within 2 hours or so. I think either you love it or you hate the book. There is no in between. And dont get discouraged by the fact that its considered a "childrens" book if you have yet to read it. By definition it might be but there are countless of adults who enjoy this series and knowing the world.
So get your copy, make yourself comfortable, and dive into the wizarding world. 

Discussion:

If you had an invisibility cloak, what would you do with it? 

A: That's a very hard question.. I honestly don't know. I can't think of a situation where I would have to use one. 
V: To be honest, probably nothing good, I feel like the thing I would do the most is steal books, as bad as that is, I would steal books xD


What subject would you be most excited to study at Hogwarts? 

A: Probably potions, because it's a incredible what those liquids can do. From mixing love potions to mixing death... 
Image result for potions harry potter gif

V: That's actually a hard question, while, as Angela said, potions is pretty darn incredible its also dangerous,
Image result for potions harry potter gif
 I mean its one wrong step and you could die! Then again, i cant think of another class I would want to take and be able to achieve mastering.


What is your house and do you feel like you fit the category? 

A: My house is Slytherin. I always liked Slytherin the most, but when I finally did house quizzes I knew why. This house has so many good qualities, for example the great ambition and I can relate to everything that house stands for. (Slytherin is not bad, but if you have Slytherin characteristics it depends in which way you wanna act on) 
Image result for slytherin gif

V: So I always liked Slythering for some reason, could honestly be because of the color scheme xD but I took the Pottermore quiz and got Ravenclaw which actually makes more sense xD Kinda. I don't consider myself to be particularly intelligent but I do love reading, if my blog hasn't told you all as much xD Sadly I don't have much Harry Potter merchandise but I have been working in a Ravenclaw scarf! So that's good xD So yeah, I am now a proud Ravenclaw with a slight tendency of Slytherin.  

Who is your least favorite character and why? 

A: Ron Weasley. I never liked him and I can't really tell why. He's just someone I can't stand. 
Image result for Ron Weasley gif

V: Cho, movie cho is gorgeous so its hard to hate HER! But I cant stand book Cho.
Image result for Cho Chang gif


What do you think Dumbledore actually saw in the mirror of Erised 

A:  I think he saw his dead sister... 
V: Same here, after I found out about his sister I couldn't help but think that that is who he saw in the mirror, him and his sister together.


How do you think Harry would be different if he had wrong up in the magical world instead of the Dursleys  

A: Harry would be very selfish (he already is a bit in my opinion) and he would love himself more than anything else. 
V: I feel like he would be somewhat like Malfoy, very stuck up about his parentage but somewhat even more bitter because he doesn't have his parents. As if he deserved everything good coming his way. Then again, depends on who raised him, if someone like Hagrid raised him he might be more like his dad, I do have this idea of McGonagall raising him, which would be cool because shes so strict she wouldn't allow him to step out of line but would be teaching him stuff as he grew and her being all motherly particularly for his birthday is just sweet, I feel like he would be more like Neville if that was the case.


If you could have one magical pet, what would you want to have? 

A: I would want a cat. Because, who doesn't want a cat? 
V: I wanna say a dog but its not something allowed at school.... overall a dog, but for school a cat! That would just be so cool! 


What do you think would've happened if Harry was sorted into Slytherin? 

A:  I don't think that harry would have turned bad, like he was afraid of. I think the whole Harry vs. Voldemort thing would be interesting, as he would probably be friends with the Malfoys'... 
V: Well he would've been a bit more influenced at first maybe, but overall miserable since he is so different from the Slytherins', he might even get bullied not just for defeating the dark lord and who he is but also because... come on, he would be in the dungeons, all gloomy and stuff. Its like he was back at the cupboard.


Which character do you identify the most? 

A: I identify the most with Bellatrix Lestrange. I know that sounds weird, but I still think she's the most underrated character in the series. She is a very strong woman, who is icecold on the outside, but she would do anything for the loved ones. (She does everything for voldemort, even kill). Yeah she is a bit crazy, but aren't we all a bit crazy somewhere? She is a strongwilled person, who knows what she wants. 
Image result for bellatrix gif
V: I identify a bit with a few characters. Hermione because I love learning new things, even as im reading I like looking up things mentioned in the books, like places, clothing, words I dont know. Ron because FOOD YAS! Harry because his friends mean so much to him. Bella because shes insane , like in the membrane.
Image result for insane in the membrane gif

Would you be able to give up your technology to go to Hogwarts? What is one thing you simply wished you could take to Hogwarts, that you cant live without?

A: I think I could. Because there I have my friends living with me (so no need for texting them) For staying in contact with my parents there we have the owl post and for staying up to date we have newspapers. I think staying at hogwarts is so adventurous and interesting, I won't be bored and feel the need to have my cellphone. Only thing that will be hard, is probably not listening to music...

V: Same as Angela, I could live without it but if I could take something it would have to be my ipod. As fun as Hogwarts is, I can't live without music, my ipod is essenitial! Its a bad day if I dont have headphones with me! 

Thank you guys so much for reading, we really do hope you enjoyed and send us an email if you have any questions, comments or feedback!